** Check out the video report from the WYLDlife trip to Wells Gray in late September **
Exciting news: Winter Youth Leadership Development (WYLD) was launched in September of 2020 with a small, pandemic-compliant cohort of young adults and continues through to May of 2021. WYLD is a 21st century update on a long and successful history of work with young adults at the Sorrento Centre that stretches back to 1965.
The young adults, along with WYLD staff and resource people, will form an intentional community at the Sorrento Centre over the coming months, based on shared responsibilities:
1. Learning: Our learning will come through teaching, discussion and field work plus experiential learning opportunities in many social justice areas.
2. Care for Creation: This year, the global reach of the novel coronavirus revealed our shared human nature and the inter-connectivity of our economies, political structures, health care systems, food production chains, energy and transportation systems in devastating ways. Engagement in practical ways, with the world around us is a core component of WYLD.
3. Shared responsibilities: Decision making: Social change model – WYLDLife will be learning more about this leadership model, to develop their own the community style of decision making.
4. Giving: Gifting helps build social relations rather than private capital. What is the history and values around my giving? What is my relationship with those to whom I give, and how does my giving contribute to transformation of that relationship?
5. Consumption: Two issues to be discussed - how much do we consume, how do we direct our consumer dollars.
6. Solidarity: How will we show our solidarity and to whom? How will we interact in a meaningful way with people from a very different social stratum than our own, particularly those who are marginalized in our society?
7. Work/Sabbath/Self Care: How can I improve and expand my disciplines of assuring I have regular rest, and adequate space for spiritual reflection and renewal?
There will be broad themes each month with skilled leaders bringing engaging with the youth:
Since 1963, the Sorrento Centre has been a gathering place for all. Starting in our earliest years, we have offered youth programs to engage and support children, youth and young adults.
** watch the slideshow for pix from a late September WYLD trip to Wells Grey **
Over the years, we have welcomed everyone from children to seniors to events and activities throughout the year.
In early November, WYLD youth prepared a special on-line Remembrance Day service for St Mary's Anglican / United Church.
In December, as the Sorrento Centre (along with most of the rest of the world) was on a "pause" due to the pandemic, WYLDlife recorded a special Christmas greeting.
Also, in December, WYLD young adults gathered for a small dinner to celebrate their first few months together, and one of the WYLD youth spoke on behalf of the rest of the cohort.
On Feb. 17, 2021, WYLD offered an Ash Wednesday service: Ashes to ashes, stardust to stardust.