Expressive arts combine the visual arts, movement, drama, music, quilting, writing and other creative processes to foster deep personal growth and community development. By integrating the various arts methods, we gain access to our inner resources for healing, clarity, illumination and creativity. Expressive Arts can also lead to an increased awareness of a spiritual nature.
Expressive arts embrace six basic tenets:
- All people have an innate ability to be creative.
- The creative process is healing.
- Personal growth and increased awareness are achieved through self-understanding and insight.
- The expressive arts lead us into the unconscious allowing us to discover new aspects of ourselves.
- Talking and writing about the new aspects we discover allow us to integrate them in our daily life.
- As we journey inward for self-discovery, we also discover our connection to the world around us.