Youth Staff Volunteer Opportunities - Summer 2019
Sorrento Centre is pleased to invite interested young people aged 15 years or older to apply to spend the 2019 summer as a volunteer at Sorrento Centre.
As a volunteer at Sorrento Centre you will have the opportunity to work with this year’s Summer Youth Staff Team. We are looking for volunteers who are interested in working for up to two months and spend their summer learning and growing alongside peers and mentors. We will work hard to match your gifts, skills and interests with the areas of work on site that we need help with. Over your time with us you will have an opportunity to experience living in community; for mentoring; for personal, spiritual and emotional development; to experience work in more than one department area; and to be independent in a supportive environment.
You will get to participate in Sorrento Centre community events and activities with the Summer Youth Staff team. You’ll have the opportunity to receive training and guidance in the particular areas where you are working. You will also be provided with an evaluation (depending on the period of time spent volunteering) as well as the option to list Sorrento Centre as a reference for future volunteer or work applications. We will provide you with room and board for the summer.
Sorrento Centre is Anglican in tradition, ecumenical in programming, and inclusive in welcome. We do not require you to be Anglican or Christian but expect that you will be willing to attend and participate in community worship and events. We also expect that all staff and volunteers support the Mission and Vision of Sorrento Centre, which can be found on our website (or email us and we’ll send you a copy).
If this interests you, we invite you to apply. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Please submit a cover letter. In this letter please share why you are interested in being part of the volunteer team, what you would like to learn and gain from a summer as a Sorrento Centre Youth Volunteer and what your areas of interest are.
- Please submit a resume. This should give us an idea of who you are and what you have done and are doing. This may include your past or current volunteer or paid work, programs you’ve attended, certificates you’ve achieved, etc…
- At the end of your resume please list three references. One should be a priest, minister, youth leader, or spiritual mentor.
- If you are under the age of 16 you will need the permission of your parent or guardian, please include this with your application in the form of a short letter.
- As we create community within the team, it is important that we follow and abide by a Community Covenant. By applying you are agreeing to the expectations set out in the covenant, which can be found online.
- You will hear from us! Once we’ve received your application we’ll let you know that it arrived and we will be in touch with you about the next steps.
Successful applicants will be required to submit a criminal records check; an invitation to join us as a volunteer is conditional on the results of the criminal records check. We will provide you with instructions on how to complete this step.
Applications can be sent to the Summer Staff Coordinators, Caitlin Dean and Jaime Millar at [email protected] If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us. We look forward to receiving your application!