The Dinner Cook will work as part of the kitchen and hospitality team at the Sorrento Centre. The day-to-day work will be supervised by Kitchen Manager, Karrie Tennent. The staff team of the Sorrento Centre is under the direction of Executive Director Michael Shapcott.
Sorrento Centre is a dynamic retreat and conference centre in the beautiful South Shuswap region of British Columbia that welcomes a diverse variety of guests throughout the year.
We are seeking a person with experience in breakfast, lunch, dinner along with vegetarian and gluten-free. Key qualities include excellent communications skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team. We go to great lengths to ensure an excellent experience through our hospitality, service and attitude – and the Dinner Cook will play a vital and critical role in ensuring that the Sorrento Centre remains a “gathering place for all”.
Kitchen operations begin in February, gaining momentum before the peak season of May through October, and wrapping up at the beginning of December. During a typical summer week, the kitchen will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Education and Qualifications
- Minimum 1-year professional kitchen experience
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Valid Food Safe 1 certificate
- Demonstrate independent work ethic, while being a positive team player
- Strong organization and communication skills
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Operating and maintaining kitchen equipment
- Manage assigned staff in a team environment ensuring the tasks are getting done efficiently and effectively
- Prepare and cook dinner for groups between 15 to 300 people, depending on shift
- Ensure special dietary meals are prepared with care and consideration
- Inspect and ensure kitchen and food areas always maintain a standard of cleanliness
- Complete opening and closing checklists
- Support other areas of the kitchen
Salary and work conditions
- A full-time or part-time seasonal position (March to October 2022)
- Open availability
- Manage a minimum of 2 shifts per week
- Starting $17.50/hour, negotiable commensurate with experience
- 35 hours/week Hours can be adjusted to meet the needs of the Sorrento Centre and the successful candidate
- This position requires your own transportation, and some early morning and/or late-night shifts may be required.
Sorrento Centre meets and exceeds all public health and WorkSafe BC requirements. We monitor the dynamic public health environment and ensure that the health and well-being of our staff, guests and neighbours remain our top priority.
Please send a letter and attach a resume describing your skills and experiences and work experience to Karrie Tennent, Kitchen Manager, Sorrento Centre, at [email protected]. Applications will be reviewed as received.