Assistant Cook at Sorrento Centre
Salary: $16.00-17.00/Hourly (depending on experience)
Job Type: Full-Time, Seasonal
Start Date of Employment: ASAP, when Filled
Sorrento Centre is seeking an Assistant Cook with a minimum of 2 years kitchen experience. Sorrento Centre is a retreat and conference centre located on the shores of the Shuswap Lake that attracts a variety of groups, workshops, special events and retreats. Our farm supplies our kitchen with fresh, local produce; seasonally.
Kitchen operations begin in February, gaining momentum before the peak season of May through October, and wrapping up the beginning of December. During a typical summer week the kitchen will serve breakfast, a morning snack, lunch, dinner and an evening snack. Throughout the year our groups range in size from 15 people up to 300 people.
Successful candidates must be able to establish healthy working relationships with young people and adults, have effective and positive oral communication skills, mentor and support staff and volunteers while offering them an opportunity to grow as a person and employee.
Guests and co-workers are our family. We go to great lengths to ensure an excellent experience through our hospitality, service and attitude. Regardless of your position in our Food Services Department your role within Sorrento Centre is a vital and a critical component in the successful implementation of our mission.
You will be a leader, and will be expected to lead by example. Modeling successful implementation of your responsibilities first, inspiring staff to do the same as you entrust and guide them to be successful in their assigned responsibilities.
The Assistant Cook works under the direction of the Food Services Director executing meal services and preparing quality menu items. Communication is imperative for understanding and assigning daily operating direction.
- Minimum 2 years professional kitchen experience in a managerial role
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Open availability
- Demonstrate independent work ethic while being a positive team player
- Strong organization and communication skills
- Able to speak clearly, listen respectively and attentively to employees, management and guests
- Experience in: Bakery goods and desserts, soups and sauces, eggs and dairy, cold kitchen, meat, poultry, vegetarian and gluten free.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Operating and maintaining kitchen equipment
- Manage assigned staff in a team environment ensuring the tasks are getting done efficiently and effectively
- Prepare and cook breakfast, snacks, lunch/dessert, dinner/dessert for groups between 15 to 300 people; depending on shift
- Ensure special dietary meals are prepared with care and consideration
- Inspect and ensure kitchen and food areas maintain a standard of cleanliness at all times
- Complete daily prep lists, ordering guides, opening and closing checklists
- Ensure the garden fresh food is prepared to the highest standards, highlighting the quality of flavors in appropriate portions.
- Support other areas of the kitchen
- Manage minimum of 2 shifts per week
This position requires your own method of transportation, may require early morning or late night shifts, a criminal record check and Food Safe 1 certificate.
Note: Due to the nature of our business all members of the team may be required to take on additional responsibilities at times to ensure an exceptional guest experience.
Applications (cover letter and resume) can be submitted to the Associate Director, Melissa Green, at [email protected]